Palaia Potamia is a deserted village lying in a ravine, well hidden from its enemies. The streams of the area led to its name (potamia = rivers). Unfortunately, the settlement stands abandoned since its location, which initially protected the inhabitants, didn't leave room for a lot of sunshine. Only two hours of it a day wasn't adequate so people fell ill with tuberculosis. In 1970, the inhabitants left their sunless village and moved to Nea Potamia just 2 km away. Nowadays, the secluded Palaia Potamia consists of ruins and rubble of stone houses. What is still intact is the school, built in 1912 with personal work of residents, and the church of St. Anthony.
made with in Chios